Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Paraglider Review - Gin Sprint Evo XXS 2013

Many thanks to Super Fly Inc., for lending me the GIN SPRINT EVO XXS wing to demo.

Pilot: Me, age 39, weight 145lbs (90 kg all up), 5'10, 3 years of paragliding experience 200+ hours

Conditions:  Northern front pushing through, low clouds, 15-20mph winds with a lot of sun and cloud shadows on the ground.


The weight range for the XXS is 55-73kg.  I am definitely well over the weight range as Gin would recommend a size Small for my weight, 2 sizes up.  I like flying wings on the upper end as they fly faster and feel tighter in the handling.  On this day with strong winds and gusts flying a smaller wing was advantageous.

Gin has one of the better "looks" and I was flying the lime green model.

The wing feels a bit heavy in it's bag for an XXS (actual weight 5kg/11lbs) That is not bothersome because it is well constructed and able to provide a long life that many super light wings may not be able to.  The fabric feels strong and the craftsmanship of the sewing and cuts are very well done.

The wing is rated as EN B and I think it would make a perfect first wing after finishing a thorough training at a pro school like Super Fly or Cloud 9 Paragliding for the confident student.

The wing has 4 risers typical of a EN B wing.  Lines are kevlar with unsheathed upper lines, there is no noticeable reduction in lines like you see on some of the newer high performance wings but this is probably normal for EN B.  The riser lines seem quite short and keep the wing rather close to you which really made controlling the wing very easy.

This description is taken from GIN's website:
  • New leading edge panel design produces more lift at lower speeds. The wing inflates with only the gentlest of pulls and climbs better in thermals.
  • Introducing the "Rigifoil-T". Flexible plastic re-enforcements inside the trailing edge prevent upward buckling of the profile when the brakes are applied. "Half-ribs" on the trailing edge also improve aerodynamic efficiency.
  • Advanced gathering system on the brake lines across the whole trailing edge improves both handling and stability in turbulence.
Kiting: This is probably the easiest wing to date that I have kited.  One of the interesting things I noticed on this wing is that the lines are pretty short bringing the wing closer to me and making it feel like a natural part of me.

Launching:  The wing comes up slowly and evenly.  There is no overshooting tendency.

In flight characteristics:  The air was choppy, gusty and thermic on this day and I never even once felt unsure on the Gin Sprint Evo XXS.  I enjoyed how it  charged and bit through turbulence.  The wing is  very pitch and roll stable only requiring minor adjustment from me as I navigated the winter textured air.

The wing holds it's shape beautifully.  I did not see any tendency to bend or for the tips to fold in.  I had a total feeling of security that I might not have had on this day with a higher performance wing.

Turning felt gentle and I really wanted to do some hard spirals but was not able to get enough altitude due to the copious amount of sink that accompanied the winter thermals.  Interesting to note, is that even though I was well over the recommended weight on this wing I never sunk below the ridge and was able to climb quite well when I was in a thermal.

Landing:  The landing was simple as pie, a little faster than a total beginner wing but she let me down gently and kept inflated on touch down.

Day 2:  I am very impressed with how this little wing can stay up as I watched other pilots sink out and was still able to top land.  Was able to test a little more the spiral and this wing is very able to produce some good G's quite quickly.  So it can go from very stable to horizontal easily should the pilot wish to feel more speed and excitement.

Interesting Feature:  To me it feels like the xxs will dive in a similar fashion to speed wings yet still have the high performance climb ability.  The acceleration is quick, comes on strong and yet still feels stable with a rigid wing above you.

Conclusion:  This would be a great wing for an ambitious pilot with solid skills looking to upgrade from their school wing or the recreational pilot who wants to be able to fly in any condition and still feel safe.  The Gin Sprint Evo is capable of getting you to new places and expanding your maneuvers skills.  This wing feels very natural and an extension of your body.  It communicates well the air around you without feeling too loose or wild.  The build quality is excellent as you can expect from Gin and this wing will last many seasons.  Finally if you can afford it and already have an XC wing this would make a fantastic mini wing for days it's just too windy for a larger wing.  I prefer to own at least 2 wings to handle the various conditions weather throws at us.

Video podcast link here  https://vimeo.com/63374201
Flying Drifter Paragliding Podcast Episode 2 - Review of the Gin Sprint Evo XXS from Flying Drifter - Paragliding on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment