Monday, April 8, 2013

Proper and Sketchy Paraglider Spin Landing

Location: North Side, Point of the Mountain, Utah.

Date: March 2013

Winds: 10-15mph estimate, light, barely enough to scratch and stay above the ridgeline.

Wing:  Gin Zoom XS over the weight range, this is sort of my mini wing.

Watch this video to see a proper and not so proper spin landing. I sadly performed the not so proper spin landing and quite thankful my wing and the airflow forgave me for such a bad landing setup. Contributing factors to this poor landing was a very tight right shoulder that I could barely lift my right arm. That would stop a sensible person but when it is flyable I am hard to deter. Usually with plenty of height a "J" hook landing works like a dream. When I went over the edge I was traveling fast downwind (should have been crabbing my way to landing) and as soon as I flew over the lip the lift completely stopped and I dropped like a rock. I thought about wipping it around back into the wind but smartly realized I would be into the ground before making a full round out. So I basically pulled heavy break, nearly to the point of stall and willing to stall the wing, at the last second let up on the right brake and let the right side of my wing spin back into the wind. I did land on my feet and this I am very thankful for. I'm sharing you this with you not to be criticized as in reality I have 100's of near perfect landings but to show you a few bad decisions, complacency, good luck, tiredness, body injury, etc can put you in serious danger and to always keep these in mind.
Happy flying friends!


Flying Drifter Sketchy Paraglider Spin Landing from Flying Drifter - Paragliding on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment