Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Paraglider Review: Triple 7 Rook size small, first impressions day 1 kiting

Having a wing that not everyone else has on the hill is cool in itself and this wing is quite beautiful as well.  I don't know a lot about the Triple 7 company other than they seem to be some cool guys from Slovania that resonate with me on some level.

I have been looking hard for the ultimate XC freestyle paraglider.  This wing may fall short in the freestyle abilities but for XC it looks very promising on paper.  It has a shark nose and ribs in both the nose and tail for a very efficient wing.

Lines:  3 risers with mostly untreated lines which I have not seen before which would be lighter but also not last as long.

Design:  Sweet, great colors and design this is a real looker and there are not 10 other pilots flying similar versions, in fact I was the only pilot lucky enough to have this wing at our local park for now.

Weather: was rowdy thermals and watching pilots get tossed about, pilots with a lot of skill I respect, informed me today was a great day to really get to know this wing on the ground.  I have learned to be more humble in choosing when I fly as I have come to realize I can hurt myself or die by making bad decisions in this sport.

Kiting:  The wing kites rather easily.  Not as easily as the XXS Gin Sprint Evo but easy non the less.  It comes up predictably almost slowly unlike a Delta 1 which will rush over your head if you are not on it.  Seems to fairly pitch stable although if it gets to far to one side it is hard to bring back overhead.  It also seem to want to park/balance a little past overhead which is a bit strange compared to other gliders I have kited.

Love the looks of this wing.  It is light and has a lot of the best performance ideas in it's design like set back air intakes, sharp nose, and trailing edge ribs.  Sewing feels good but not as rigid as I have found on Gin gliders and I don't expect quite the longivity on this wing as you would get from a Gin.

1 comment: