Monday, November 11, 2013

An oldie but a goodie, recent test flight of an Advance Sigma 6 paraglider

This wing is sitting in my friends garage for quite a good price and taken very well care of.  So why not off the flight park to test another wing.

I have always resisted the Advance wings because I think the fins look "dorky" ha ha.  So I was surprised by how much I liked this wing.

First thing I noticed is it is fast or least felt fast to me.  Many of the cells are closed or partially closed this would seem to produce better penetration and also maybe re-open slower?

It is a 4 liner and with a lot of lines as you can expect from just about any wing from a few years ago.  That is one thing I love about the new wings, the super clean and few lines of new wings.  But anyways so what it has a lot more lines let's see how she flys.

I was able to take off in almost no wind and thermal up the mountain when no one else did this late in the day and I give credit to myself and also this wing!

It gives good feedback but not too much I felt that the wing stays overhead pretty easily and I didn't feel knocked around even tho it was a thermal day.  Speed bar felt very smooth not requiring too much pressure and brake pressure felt just about right as well.

Spirals and wing over feel solid without too much enthusiasm.

Overall I like this wing a lot even tho it has a few years on it and it seems like it has good cross country potential.  Have not been able to find any good data on how it performs in turbulence or any good siv videos of it in major collapses which is a very key indicator in how comfortable I am on a wing.

here is a link to some specs and photos http://www.para2000.org/wings/data/advance-sigma6_uk_01_01.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment